Piatt County has a population of approximately 16,729 and a land area of approximately 440 sq. miles. In addition to all highways in the county and all rural areas, the Piatt County Sheriff’s Office patrols the towns and villages of Bement, Cerro Gordo, Hammond, Atwood, De Land and Mansfield, as well as the unincorporated areas of Milmine, La Place, Lintner, Burrowsville, Pierson Station, White Heath, Lodge, Centerville, Galesville and Harris.
Some of the duties of patrol
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Service of arrest warrant, search warrants, other court documents and civil papers.
- Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
Some of the duties of investigations
- Investigate crimes
- Collect evidence of crimes
- Conduct interviews with suspects and witnesses
- Work with other agencies, i.e. sharing/acting on information
- Work with the State’s Attorney’s Office